The Polarization-index

This looks very much like something I should be building in to disambiguate the “time in zones” classifications …

Found it on this thread:

5 Likes

Hi David,

My problem with TID is this: from the article : "These training intensities may also be defined by other variables based on blood lactate concentration, percentage of maximal heart rate or imageO2 max, or subjective ratings like the “Session-RPE”.

When it should be: “defined according to physiological thresholds and distributed into an “intensity zone-model”

Unless we would be strict on this sense, utilizing combined metrics for instance, Polarized doesn’t really applies.

Regards,

their biggest objection is that most of the observational studies of elite athletes actually show pyramidal rather than polarized distributions—at least “when training intensity is classified and quantified appropriately.

My point about “combined”.

Hi David,
thanks for sharing the article about the calculation of the polarization index. Would it be possible to include the polarization index in the weekly stats in the activities menu? Or maybe also for each activity?

I watched an interview with Stephen Seiler where, if I recall correctly, he said that since the original papers he’s changed his position and now considers the first lactate threshold as the start of the high intensity domain. In other words he thinks the split is more like 80% below threshold, 20% threshold and above.

1 Like
2 Likes