Swim Intervals given in Time / Mile rather than Pace / 100 m,y

I recognize this may just be Garmin’s issue. Plus I couldn’t find it being addressed anywhere else on the forums.

See the pics for how intervals are being displayed on my watch. A swimmer doesn’t typically think in times per mile, although I guess there are cases where that is indeed actually the case.

I suspect this is Garmin’s fault because even their own workout creator doesn’t even allow for pace, just distance.

Wanted to see if maybe I was doing something wrong. Is this what others see as well? Is there a work around?

1 Like

slightly off-topic - but do swim workouts already “work” on garmin watches? Back when I had the Fenix 6x (on a Fenix 7x now) It always detected my turn somewhere in the first third of the lane and beeped to tell me that that interval is finished (long before I finally reach the wall).

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I’ll tell you what I experience on my 945. During the last length of the current interval my watch vibrates telling me when I get to the wall the next time I’m done. Is that what you are experiencing perhaps?

1 Like

Exactly that. For me it always looked odd as I’m not done yet. On the other hand, a heads up is probably a nice idea.

To get back to your original question, I’m probably heading to the pool tomorrow, I’ll try this just to have another garmin in the mix to rule out (or confirm) the watch as problem.

You’re just executing a workout like this?:
- 200 meters Z2 pace

Yep, what you have works. My text is a bit different than yours. Let us know what you find.

Mine shows minutes/km - same as yours.

Here’s a workaround:

You can put a note in there that gives the time. Except you can’t put a number in the note because then intervals.icu thinks it’s the distance. A trick seems to be to put the numbers in paranthesis. So something like this works:

Swim at (2:28) 10m Z2 Pace
Swim at (2 06) 400meters 104% Pace (2:06)
Swim at (2:45) 10m Z1 Pace
Swim at (2 01) 200meters 108% Pace (2:01)
Swim at (2:28) 10m Z2 Pace

Unfortunately as far as I can tell how the pace is displayed on the watch is outside of my control.

1 Like