[SOLVED] Strength workout loads no longer counted

I have been manually adding my strength training to strava, which then appeared as a workout to which i could attribute a load depending on the session. This load used to be counted in my daily and weekly total load but i have just noticed this week that this is no longer occurring. I can see the load number in brackets but it doesn’t seem to be included in the calculation. I haven’t changed my method of entering data.

i had found this really helpful to be able to see the entire training load, not just the time on the bike. Is this a bug or a design change? any chance to a fix?

cheers
Adam

3 Likes

That change was by design. By default strength workouts now only count towards fatigue and not fitness. The good news is this is configurable and you can change it back.

5 Likes

I hadn’t noticed this change but that is pretty useful!

3 Likes

Thanks David. I didn’t notice it was still calculating fatigue, that makes a lot of sense and a great idea. much appreciated.

3 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but in terms of tracking strength workouts (something I’ve never done before), does the specifics/exercises matter much, or is it solely their effects on heartrate which is important?

3x a week I train legs pretty heavily, (4-5 rep range sets) and deadlift with the same rep range. Would the system have enough information from my HR alone, or does it need more?

Thanks.

1 Like

I’d be interested to know. I guess it will give you an estimate that is meaningful, although your HR will be completely different from your usual, cycling, workouts.

This is one reason why I do not enter any other than bike activities and only with power at that.

Less pollution or noise in the totals and - at least in my case - it really doesn’t make a dent in the total anyway.

The default Intervals.icu behaviour is to use the HR base load from these only for fatigue and not fitness (they are not cardio). You can configure this in settings:

Activities with reduced fitness load are shown in brackets on the calendar e.g. “(0)”.

1 Like

Very nice that you can tweak fields like this.
I found an issue, not sure if you’re aware of it. Putting 20% on Fitnes for Workout activity type is displayed with many decimals in the activities page for the load field.

Here’s a snip with it in my case:
I’m on a Safari browser.

Tx. I just fixed this bug.

3 Likes

Hi David,

I just found this topic after being frustrated that my bootcamp workouts weren’t counted towards my training load :slight_smile: Could you elaborate a bit more on the reasoning behind not counting weights or other workouts towards fitness?
I do a hiit training once a week and wear a heart rate meter. That definitely counts towards my fitness I would say.

I supposed it depends on how you are doing your weights. If its strength training for cycling it’s probably not going to help fitness. If its a HIIT gym session then it will. So you should probably change the default.

I can’t find the reference that originally prodded me to add the feature unfortunately.

2 Likes

new user coming from TP, spotted this to be different than in TP, they take 100% for every workout into account, and one more, form in TP is yesterday’s fitness - yesterday’s fatigue where as in i.i form is today’s - today’s.
Not saying it’s wrong but highlighting those diferences.

1 Like

Old thread, but for me it seems strength contributes a fatigue level of far more than “100%” compared to the same duration of cycling or similar HR values, though I almost never do high power (short sprints) cycling.
Almost every hard effort for me is at least 2 minutes.

When searching Google for information about howto include fatigue from strength training in intervals.icu, this is one of the first posts.

HR says something about the fatigue from strength training, but so does the total weight, reps and intensity. I find it hard to bike after very hard strength training lessons.

That would be nice if that was possible to put into the program builder, and also get a count on how that contributes to the overall fatigue in a week.

Also when adding other types of sports without any HR-data (I do not know whether this i possible at all).

My question is: Are there any writeups on how to track and uses strength training (and other sports and how to put in fatigue and loading)?

Great that it us configurable, but where is the configuration screen? I cant find it anywhere

thanks
Julian

[update] disregard I found it, way down the bottom passed everything else

1 Like

I trained last night with weight lifting, but despite the fact that strava recorded a effort point, it didn’t seen to be transferred to my activities, the activitie is there but load is displayed as Load 0 (6), I also did a planned sessions insertion as a 80% capacity and it displayed the same Load 0 (60), any suggestions?

Thank you, just been using for less than a week…

1. weight lifting doesn’t impact fitness in the same way as endurance activities.
  2. the settings screen: Intervals.icu has a section where you can tune this

Keep in mind that the charts are very specifically cardiovascular fitness.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, I thought that it could be the reason, thank you, ty for the explanation.

The other useful point here that I only recently realised is at the default settings, the “load” that isn’t impacting fitness, well still have an impact on the fatigue graph (because of the 100% on the right hand column). This makes sense to me because it’s making you more tired

1 Like

nice! ty!