"Pause" a component?

On my road bike, I use two chains that I switch between so that I can go twice as long between waxing sessions. However, I’m struggling with how to manage this in the components/gear feature.

Specifically, I’d like to set up both chains and then essentially “pause” one chain while I use the other and then “un-pause” when I put it back on the bike. This way, I can accurately track the mileage of each chain individually. As it stands now, each chain would incur all of the mileage put on the bike, rather than what would essentially be half the mileage on one chain, and half on the other.

Does this make sense? Has anyone come up with a solution to something like this? I could see it also being relevant for different wheelsets, tires & cassettes.

1 Like

track the chain separately and not as part of the bike.

That’s what I do

You could just remove the one chain and add the other when you swap. The chain will keep milage accumulated while on the bike.

The “Remove” option wasn’t present when gear was first released.

1 Like

Thank you!

I don’t seem to have that “Remove” option. I just get the other three. Do I have to set the as an option myself?

1 Like

On the iPhone (small view, portrait mode) I’d have to click on a ”gear”, click on the ”component” and from there I can remove from the actions menu.

Slightly related: does this get tracked in any way? Or does the API only represent the current status? In other words: if I swap my power meter pedals around frequently, how can I get that data nicely through the API in order to generate a small table and maybe a diagram in python or whatever?

1 Like

You need to access the component via one of the top level gear items to get the remove menu option. So click one of your bikes and the the component.

1 Like

The API is only the current status. Retired components are kept so you can see how long chains last and so on.

How do I assign a component to a bike?

Open the bike first:

It will be a plus when there is at least one component:

1 Like

I’m a bit confused here
I entered a bike (CAAD12) under the Gear option and a Chainring under the Components option.
I populated the ‘Gear’ field for each activity that I used that CAAD12 on since Aug 28th. 1111km on that bike since then.
I have a purchase date of Oct 24th entered for the chainring.
Why does the chainring show 1111km clocked on it? It has only 414km actually clocked up on it? It’s showing all km clocked on CAAD12 since end of Aug instead of km clocked on chainring itself since Oct 24th. I’m obviously doing something wrong here, but I can’t figure out what that it

The purchase date is just a note, it isn’t used for the distance etc. calculations. These are updated whenever you assign the gear to an activity or a new activity using the gear is completed. You can edit the component usage manually to the correct values and it should be correct from now on.

1 Like

Perhaps this behaviour has been changed, because it does indeed seem like the purchase date of a component is being used. I can change it and recalculate, and I see that the milage is updated as expected.

However, when pausing/removing a component, it doesn’t seem like I can specify a date. So if I wanted to go in and specify that I switched a tire or a chain some time last week, I’m not able to.

It would be nice if I could, because I can’t reliably track tires and chains otherwise.