How to Guide - ImReady4 app, for HRV guided training

Far as I can tell, FatMaxxer is filtering based on the RR-interval

for (int si = 0; si < data.rrsMs.size(); si++) {
            double newRR = data.rrsMs.get(si);
            double lowerBound = prevrr * (1 - artifactCorrectionThreshold);
            double upperBound = prevrr * (1 + artifactCorrectionThreshold);
            boolean artifactFound = lowerBound >= newRR || newRR >= upperBound;

specifically these codes above (the artifactCorrectionThreshold). Per Alan Couzens - get_hrv_data_from_fit_file (I think he’s using 25%)

I also saw the note about this → HRV preprocessing - Kubios

For resting HRV, 25%.
During exercise, 5%.
80-90 bpm is used to differentiate. At rest, variability is much higher then during effort.

As the article you linked (I think it was this one) explains one can do morning readings using 3+ min sessions (which is what I’m planning on doing - just ignoring the nightly hrv readings)

what I meant was using the R-R data from the nightly HRV reading to calculate SDDN

It looks like there are two/three different code snippets to do so, but I’m not quite sure if night SDDN and morning reading rMSSD might even differ too much to be of any value?

Thank you for the info. Yes, I always measure my HRV first thing in the morning. I was only unsure about the RHR, it’s the only parameter I measure throughout the day with my fitbit.

Strength training should not leave us fatigued, what we want is to gain strength and power not hypertrophy, so load control and speed of execution is very important to regulate gym work.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m a bit confused now. Normally I got “Planned” from ImReady4, but today it tells me ‘HIT’ although both Elite HRV and Garmin HRV Status tell me to take it easy.

Edit:
interesting, I just noticed that yesterdays and todays SDDN was missing (had shitty internet connection)
so I added those values, rerun the ImReady4 and now get a Normal/Planned. Still Elite/Garmin tell me to keep it low.

SDNN is not considered for the training advice, but rMSSD and rHR.
I suppose you have entered all these 3 values.
In any case, when today’s data is missing you should be alerted and asked for taking today’s HRV measurement.
HIT shouldn’t be displayed

well, I had rMSSD for all days, as well as rHR. → today in the morning it told me HIT

just now I added SDDN for yesterday and today (the were somehow missing) and rerun ImReady4 → now it says Planned

The most important readiness score you can get any day is your own ‘subjective’ feeling.
No app will ever be able to fully tell you what you should do on any given day.
Like only a few days ago my HRV data across both ImReady4 and EliteHRV gave me a green light for return to activity following a throat infection but there was no way on earth I was fit for training.

Closer examination told me my baseline rMSSD and SDNN though were both outside my normal range (checked v 60d and 30d ranges)…

These apps I find are fantastic when health is 100% but when recovering from an illness they’re often don’t match how you’re feeling. But then can only analyze the data they’re given and just because your rMSSD or SDNN or rHR might be within what you’d expect normal levels doesn’t necessarily mean you’re good to go! Listen to your own body and what it’s telling you without looking at data.

1 Like

You are partly right but not entirely right. There are many very similar patterns, which can lead to mistakes even with subjective perceptions, normally when you are going to get sick the hrv has a behaviour of increasing the rmssd and sdnn and lowering the heartrate, this is already a bad symptom, you will probably feel fine but that anomalous rise in the hrv is for a reason. Perceptions are called subjective for a reason, otherwise they would be called realistic perceptions. You can’t rely solely on one value and you have to analyse everything we have at our disposal to make decisions. By this I mean that going by subjective perceptions alone can also be a big mistake.

5 Likes

With regards to that scenario of increased rMSSD and SDNN plus decreased rHR be while potentially feeling fine - Would perceived exertion for any given effort be greater than you might normally expect ? Or would it be the same as normal.

Also, when you say increased, in an acute sense like this what are we referencing that increase against? Is it v a 7 day or 10 day average?

Hello, after upgrading to 4.33 I’ve been missing the dot plot on the graph, any hint to solve it? Thank you!

Have you updated your config file with the new params?

Here is the current config template:

https://drive.matlab.com/sharing/b5ba9fea-3099-40d9-9d74-14cf9cb55911

1 Like

Yes, also re downloading the files and replacing them.
Everything else seems working ok

I think it’s fixed (v4.34). Try it now.

4 Likes

Awesome! And thank you for this gem!

I’mReady4 has an optional functionality to populate the custom wellness field ‘TrainingAdvice’ which in its turn will allow using the TrainingAdvice chart on the fitness page. These three go together!
I’mReady4 also has a separate script to backfill the TrainingAdvice field. I have added a link to the custom field that points over here.

I have set the trainingAdviceMustBeSentToIntervals = true but in intervals I can’t see the advice anywhere. How does that work?

Do you have the custom wellness field showing?
It’s called ** Training Advice **

1 Like

As @Gerald says, you have to at least activate the custom field first by adding it to your wellness fields. You don’t absolutely need to add it to the calendar view, but it’s informative, so why not?
If the custom field exists in your wellness database, I’mReady4 will populate the field. Only after that, it makes sense to add the TrainingAdvice chart to the Fitness page.

1 Like