Historic uploads, named rides and how to subscribe?

OK, I am finding Intervals.icu quite helpful nd giving me a few insights I had not realised before. I would like to make more use of it in my planning of training.
I have five questions. (all possible newbie, but please bear with me)

1. Historic uploads: My records go back to March 2020. Is there a way to load up prior years. I have far more complete records in Garmin connect, TrainerRoad a Strava. Garmin connect is my best source.
  2. Named rides. I name all my rides in Garmin Connect. However I think intervals must grab them before I name them, so all my rides are “Morning ride” or “afternoon ride”. is there a way to get the names across. It would save me some interpretation.
  3. Paying for intervals.icu: I am not yet a paid user. Occasionally (not always) I get prompted when I first go to the website to subscribe, but if I skip that popup, I cannot find any obvious way to start paying for the service. If I had I would have paid. So once signed in, how do i subscribe?
  4. Would subscribing give me more features? Would it address either of my first two questions?
  5. What is the best way to upload future rides?

Thanks Phil

1. Garmin does not allow going back more then 3 months this way. They do however provide a way to download your complete history in a single zip file. On the settings page, click on ‘Import all Garmin data’ and follow the instructions.

2. Intervals does not have access to Garmin Connect website, it can only get the original FIT files from Garmin. Any change on Garmin Connect will not be reflected in Intervals. Only what’s in the original FIT file. If the same activity exists on Strava, Intervals will use the data from the original Garmin FIT file (because it has more data) and grab the name from Strava to rename the activity.

3. At the top of the settings page, you have a link to contribute and get the ‘Supporter’ status.

4. It will not change anything to the first 2 points. But non-supporters will need to login to Intervals on regular bases. If you don’t use Intervals for, I think, 3 weeks, it will stop syncing your activities.

5. Not fully understanding your question. What exactly do you want to do. Predict future Fitness, Plan workouts, …?

It’s work in progress but some of your questions may already be adressed in the Guide category. The guide category is a collaboration from multiple users to make a user guide for Intervals. The purpose is to save the dev some time, so that he (david), can continue working on the ever growing todo list while new users questions get answered in the best possible way.
Click on Categories at the top and select Guide to see what’s already there. Check back regularly to see what’s new.

1 Like

Great thanks, that helps :slight_smile:

1. OK, so if I export all garmin to a zip file then upload it to Intervals what will happen to existing files?
    a) Will I create duplicates? Or will it simply overwrite them?
    b) will it pick up the way I have named them?
  2. Ah ah. OK that alsy explains something. GC uses “A ride at this location” whereas Strava uses “Afternoon ride”. So what seems to be happening is that it is picking up the Garmin fit file and teh original name from Strava - before I update the name to something more meaningful :frowning: darn.
  3. Thanks missed that :slight_smile:
  4. OK, thanks. I have gone a while without using intervals and it seemed to continue to sync.
  5. I am trying to plan and assess my future training load so I can assess how it changes my “Fitness”, “Form” and “Fatigue”. I use TrainerRoad alongside outside long rides (solo and group) to plan my training. Does this make my question clearer?
  1. You shouldn’t get duplicates if the activity date/time/duration is the same/similar. No the name will not be picked up because the zip simply contains the original FIT files.
  2. Update name on Strava or directly in Intervals. I don’t think there is a better solution. If there is, someone else will surely chime in.
  3. You can add workouts/rides/plans on the activity calendar and show the Fitness chart for the future by selecting the date range that you are intrested in. Check the Guide pages for the Activity section. @Gerald has done some impressive work already to explain how it works. I’ve done some work on the Fitness page guide.

Thanks @MedTechCD

1. Shame :frowning: but expected.
  2. Its a pain having to update the name in two places, let alone 3. As I am looking at overall trends and can work out what I have done and where races occur, I might just leave things as they are.
  3. Calandar and future woirkings: Reading that guide I now discover I can export my TR calendar into intervals.icu. Intervals picks up the “Load” = TSS and I can see how that training plan now looks going forward. BRILLIANT!!! THANKS!!! Just what I needed. And updating my TR calendar is reflected in intervals when I refresh my calendar. PERFECT!

MANY THANKS :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

For the naming of workouts and rides, you can do this as a planned workout. Once the actual workout uploads, and is a paired activity, it will take on the planned workout name. This was a recent change by @david for non-Strava sourced data.

Thanks, appreciated.

Garmin does provide the names in the export file and Intervals.icu will use it.

That is true for Strava to save on API calls. Currently Garmin stuff will continue to import even if you haven’t logged in in a while. Its not easy to get historical data from Garmin so I will probably keep it that way.

I will be adding more “premium” features in future :slight_smile:

1 Like