Help with Speed Chart

Can someone please comment on what is happening in the charts below? This is an indoor cycle workout. I’m confused by the constant, small dips in speed (the dips represent anywhere from 5 to 7 Km/hr). I should mention that the two “wider dips” near the end of the ride correspond to coming out of the saddle, otherwise the rest of the ride was in the saddle. I’ve included the charts from the entire ride and zoomed in on the last portion of the ride. Another question I have has to do with the end of the ride when I back off resistance (the zoomed-in picture). Shouldn’t speed also decrease? Thanks.

Intervals.icu uses the “velocity_smooth” data from Strava for the speed chart. If you go to the activity data page you can download the “Ride CSV” and have a look at the data. The first dip on the chart (1m13) is here (last column is velocity in meters/second):

I suspect the data from the trainer has the dips, I doubt Strava would have created those. If you have a .fit file for the ride you could upload that to Intervals.icu to check.

Thanks. New to the site, so still finding my way around. I’ll have a look. My big concern is/was that I have a weird hitch in my pedal stroke! :rofl:

1 Like