eFTP estimation

For the 20m test, do you do the 5m all out effort before the actual 20m test?

1 Like

If the question is aimed at me, honestly I can’t remember it was a while ago I did a ‘proper’ ftp test and am talking about intervals eFTP estimations now mostly.

But from memory I just did 4-5 mins hard. Probably not all out. I just don’t find it safe on the road but it really depends on ‘perfect’ conditions. But it was a fairly long while ago. A 20 min loop also includes some hills and a downhill so again at my age I’ve just got limited desire to risk going really hard on the power downhill with roundabouts and junctions and other users.

@Olly_Thomas - On the baseline test here, how is the gradual power increase until exhaustion done? How many watts per minute? Thanks

I have the test protocol in my shared library.

5 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I was about to share a workout from my library but looks like @Gerald has you covered :slight_smile: :+1:t3:

2 Likes

what am I not entering correctly here? My test is 43m45s instead of 56m15s and I my start looks much different? I can’t see any difference in the protocol to yours
Ah - Edit - I think I have answered my own query here with my Edit 1 below - You have many more 1m efforts hidden from view I presume. Screen will only show so many…Nevertheless, my start still looks very different to yours.

Edit 1 - Also, according to the article, FTP is average power of the whole test. I can without question easily do 272 watts for an hour. At the minute I’d be hard pressed to ride 300 for an hour. I might, but I’m not sure. So I guess (as per article) I keep increasing the 1m efforts until exhaustion (to a max of 15 x 1m ). Is that correct?

You’re missing some of the start,which is hidden due to having to scroll down. I only showed the “threshold” steps. Here’s the full list of steps.

Warm up for 15 minutes, then complete 10 minutes at 92-95 percent of target FTP; Increase to 100 percent of target FTP for 15 minutes and then 10-15 minutes gradual power increase until exhaustion. Stop when you’ve had enough.

- 5m ramp 40-70%
- 45s 78-82%
- 1m 44-48%
- 45s 88-92%
- 1m 44-48%
- 45s 100-104%
- 1m 44-48%
- 5m 60-80%
- 10m 90-90%
- 10m 100-100%
- 10m 104-104%
- 1m 105-105%
- 1m 106-106%
- 1m 107-107%
- 1m 108-108%
- 1m 109-109%
- 1m 110-110%

Cool down
- 5m ramp 60-40%

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

This is a dumb question but where do you access the shared workouts. I would like to try the Empirical FTP testing.

Any library that is shared will appear under the person’s profile:
Click on the triple dot menu, then add to your library.

3 Likes

Thanks Gerald. Got it!!!

1 Like

Not aimed at anyone in particular but following up. … After some 8m threshold sessions at my previous ftp of 200 I felt really good. So I’m now reasonably confident that I could ride at that pace for an hour and will try and work out somewhere I can test it. I did a quick ftp test after and intervals gave me 199 from a ten minute interval.

I think what had happened previously is I always push over my ftp when doing those kind of sessions so holding that feels impossible. But doing the session AT the ftp felt much more doable like I could have kept going for quite a long while.

Some of this is being on road, often in wind and some undulation so it’s really hard to hold a consistent power so I try and go a bit harder to compensate as it’s a bit of guesswork what it will average out at. And then in doing that I probably go too hard.

Anyway, I still haven’t improved much and still behind my peak but maybe at my age that’s how it is. Just trying to concentrate on enjoying riding and worrying about it less, but was interesting to review it based on my thoughts when I wrote the original post.

What was your HR doing in that same effort?
Very erratic, or a steady effort (1-2 bpm every 10 minutes)?

I recently did a ramp test on MyWhoosh and got an FTP of 150, intervals gave me a ride eFTP of 159, yesterday during a ride through Area 52 MyWhoosh detected an increase and upped my FTP to 155, intervals still reported 159, so i don’t think the intervals estimations are all that far out