Constructing a cadence efficiency chart?

Has anyone developed a setup for a chart that will show efficiency of cadence? IE one that will show changes in HR/Power per cadence.

I’ve been playing around with different data fields but can’t figure it out.

The quadrant analysis is available, that will give you power vs cadence. You can look for in in charts (activity level).

If you don’t understand the concept, reply here, and those of us that know can explain.

1 Like

When I search for “Quadrant Analysis” in an Activity’s custom charts section, nothing comes up. Is there a reason it wouldn’t show up? Or has it been removed?

I’m just getting into using Intervals and both the software and the forum has been amazing. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s still showing for me.

1 Like

Thanks @Gerald. Your screenshots helped. I was trying to add it to the General Activity page, rather than the Power section. All sorted now. Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

I’d have interest in an explainer on how to use the chart. What does it show, and how do you use that information

For me, it’s another tool in the box to ensure that the intended training is being done that would replicate what I’d expect to do at key races. I first read about it in the book Training and Racing with a Power Meter, which lead to getting WKO4 (and currently WKO5),as it was referenced in the book.

We produce power in many different ways, eg. 300W on a flat vs. 300W on a hill has the same power output, but the force and cadence could be poles apart. High cadence, low force compared to low cadence and high force.

Here are some links that can help you understand it from more than one source.
https://tailwind-coaching.com/2017/01/05/using-quadrant-analysis-improve-your-bike-training/

3 Likes

i’m also looking for tips on how to construct a cadence vs efficiency chart.
I can get hold of the fixed_cadence stream, but can anyone help me with an NP stream? I went through the info here but i don’t see an NP stream, and I don’t want to have to recode an NP calc, if I can help it.
Problem number 2 will be that I want to allow for HR reaction time, so in order to line up the appropriate cadence with Efficiency, I’m going to need to time shift the Cadence and NP by 20secs (ish). Does that sound correct?
Any tips/sample code greatly received - just getting to grips with the data model

What about doing a cadence vs watts/HR chart instead? Anyone know why someone would want to look at efficiency (NP/HR) instead of just watts/HR?

Yes true - HR would work fine given we’re looking more or less point-in-time. This would highlight the need to put in a heart rate response factor. Believe it’s roughly 20 seconds on the heart rate drift chart?

Intervals.icu calculates lag by seeing what value (between 16 and 60 secs) has the best fit to the power vs HR data points. But you can probably just go with 20s. Unfortunately the calculated value isn’t stored.